The Department of Geography and Regional Planning is one of the pioneer Departments in the Faculty, which offered admission to students for the Bachelor of Science Geography and Regional Planning degree programme that commenced in the 2011/2012 academic session. The institution is ICT-driven and envisioned to be a top ranking, world-class university, committed to excellence in research and the production of leaders with a passion for service with integrity.
The programme was designed in accordance with National University Commission’s Academic Bench Mark from inception under the pioneer Head of Department, Prof. Ahmed. The programme is working towards producing human resources that would use their knowledge to the development of analytical skills that can be applied to problem solving issues of geographical nature in the global community.
The Philosophy of the Bachelor of Science Geography and Regional Planning degree programme is to produce human resources endowed with appropriate knowledge to make functional contributions to the development of his/her immediate community, Nigeria, Africa and the global community having been exposed to a broad foundation of knowledge in the various sub-fields of Geography and in the field of Social Sciences in general.
The Vision is to be a foremost Department of Geography and Regional Planning in the country committed to functional teaching, research and entrepreneurial skills development of self-reliance human resources.
Our Mission is to meet the needs of the local and global through production of creative graduates in a holistic manner to achieve socio-economic development and environmental sustainable.
The objectives of the department are to:
- instill in students a sound knowledge of Geography, an appreciation of its applications in different socio-cultural contexts and to involve the students in an intellectually stimulating and satisfying experience of learning and studying the workings of society.
- provide students with broad and well balanced knowledge of geographical theories and methods.
- cultivate in students the ability to apply their geographical knowledge and skills to the understanding and solving of societal problems in Nigeria and elsewhere.
- provide students with relevant knowledge and skills base from which they can proceed to further studies in special areas of Geography or multi-disciplinary areas involving Geography.
- instill in students an appreciation of the importance of Geography in spatial and environmental contexts.
- develop in students a range of useful competencies in public, private or self-employment.
Knowing the utility and application of remote sensing and geographic information systems (GIS), the Department has acquired a fully functional GIS laboratory with state-of-the-art computers, GIS softwares, full colour A0 plotter, A0 Scanner, guillotine, GPS equipment, etc. for teaching and research in this direction. Currently, the Department has a subsisting Memoranda of Understanding (MoU) with the National Space Research and development Agency (NASRDA), Abuja and the National Centre for Remote Sensing (NCRS), Jos for research in GIS applications. The Lab provides and is equipped to provide teaching, research, extension, training and consulting in areas of geospatial data mapping, geospatial data modelling, multiuser and enterprise geodatabase design, tuning and configuration, web mapping, urban planning, land use and land cover management, agricultural, food security and environmental resource management, soil and vegetation, climate and climate change risk management.
You are advised to take advantage of the variety of teaching, research and community development services offered by the department.
Head of Department
Professor Ojonigu F. Ati
BA, MSc, PhD (ABU)