Welcome to the official website of the Faculty of Arts, Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State.
The Faculty houses two departments, namely: Department of History and Strategic Studies and Department of Languages and Linguistics
.i . Department of History & Strategic Studies
To be a top ranking department, committed to excellence in research and the production of a generation of leaders with passion for service.
To create knowledge, impart it to transform the human beings, deploy it to grow the economy and solve local and global challenges, with integrity.
The philosophy of the Department emphasises the multidisciplinary approach to the study and development of history. It is also meant to guide the students to be well grounded in the study of history and historiography. By so doing, they would develop very sound and analytical minds. The aim is for them to acquire and develop independent and objective judgement of issues in their environment, and also prepare them for greater roles in the society.
The major objective of the academic programme of the Department of History and Strategic Studies is to give students a thorough understanding of Nigerian History, and historiography against the backdrop of African and World History. By so doing, students will acquire the skills to critically and rigorously analyse local and global historical movements that have shaped the lives of ordinary people of Nigeria, Africa and the World. Besides, the intellectual development that arises from the study of history, the History programme of the Federal University Dutsin-ma will also confer upon the students the analytical faculty and balanced judgment needed, particularly for research, administrative and managerial responsibilities.
Although the programme emphasizes Nigerian and African History in that order, the realities of our contemporary world necessitate comparative study of other major areas of Europe and Asia and the new insights into the main political, social and economic forces that have shaped specific historical events. Students are also to acquire some awareness on how these historical events and other factors have enhanced or impeded world historical developments.
In their first and second years, students are introduced to the histories of major areas of the World and to the basic techniques of the historical craft. In their third and fourth years, students are able to take more specialized courses which at the same time introduce them to a wide variety of approaches to History writing and research. In the final year, they have an opportunity to try their hands at small-scale researches in the form of their research projects. In addition, a number of specialized courses are offered based on documents which help to give them the feel of historical research and interpretation.
.i. Department of Languages & Linguistics
To be a top ranking department, committed to excellence in research and the production of a generation of graduates who are highly proficient in English.
To impart knowledge to transform humanity and deploy the knowledge for growth and development in every facet of the society.
Our basic philosophy is geared towards significantly improving the proficiency of our graduates in English Language. This programme therefore gives greater attention to the achievement of improved knowledge of English and the acquisition of adequate oral and written skills in it. Graduates from the department should be clearly and positively identified with adequate proficiency in pronunciation, articulateness in speech, correctness of grammar and usage, elegance and style in diction, the choice of an appropriate variety of English for use in the various administrative and professional job opportunities available in the labour market, in literary and creative writing domains, and in postgraduate studies in language and literature.
The objectives are as follows:
- To train students to acquire adequate communicative competence in both the spoken and written varieties of the English language, thereby giving them a good grounding and effective mastery of the Language in its various applications to achieve adequate self-expression and self-actualisation.
- To equip the students with the knowledge of the forms and features of the varieties of English used in different professional domains such as business communication, legal communication, electronic broadcast media, print journalism, advertising and sports commentaries, book publishing, and biography writing.
- To equip the students with adequate linguistic knowledge of the English Language through a detailed study of its sound system, its lexicon, its syntax, semantics and usage.
- To adequately prepare the students to pursue postgraduate studies in English Language, Literature and Linguistics, and to take up teaching and research at the appropriate level of education.
- To orient students towards self-employment by a focus on skills such as writing (e.g. of articles in magazines, of speeches; designing and presenting special programs on radio or TV, designing and publishing magazines etc.), creative writing, and other kinds of original output through independent thought, inventiveness and creativity.
- To enable students to overcome deficiencies in their English.
- To produce graduates with an informed literary sensibility and necessary tools to respond adequately and appropriately to literary challenges.